December 23, 2011

Where's the Holiday Cheer?

2 days before Christmas and there is NO holiday cheer in this house. 
 I've glued myself to the TV and watched every Christmas movie probably made on Lifetime Movie Network, watched my stock of Christmas movies (that after the holidays will restock with new ones) and of course watched 25 days of Christmas on ABC family. But there is still no Christmas cheer. I've stayed away from shopping, and feel like the snow has taken over. Last night we got over a foot of snow, leaving lil old pregnant me to shovel. Thankfully my neighbor sent her husband over to finish shoveling for me. I can't imagine how I would be feeling if I had to do it all. It took me an hour to do my driveway, and I've paid for it. I've spent all day in bed with a heating pad and will eventually make it to the bath tub with a book. 

Even with a beautiful winter wonderland outside, and Christmas movies playing non stop in the house I just can't find the holiday cheer I usually have. I know that it's because my husband is deployed and he has it worse, but being in an empty house for the holidays is just not ideal.

 I did send out hubby's care packages right after he deployed so he is equipped with Christmas cheer. His package included chocolate chip cookies, christmas lights, cinnamon scented candles, peppermint Oreos, christmas pop tarts and some other goodies. So hopefully he will enjoy his Christmas care package as he celebrates this holiday in Afghanistan. 

I know there are so many families spending the holidays without their soldier, and everyone celebrates it differently. I'm going to my neighbors house for Christmas. I was invited today, and thrilled to go. I'm planning on baking Chocolate Chip banana bread. She is also having another friend whose husband is deployed and her kids over. As for my neighbor, her husband is home (and the one who shoveled for me today). I'm looking forward to spending the holidays with my neighbors. She was one of the first people I met out here in Alaska, and I'm thankful she thought of me this holiday season.

Here's something going around on Facebook, that got me teary eyed. 

Twas the night before Christmas
And there all alone ...
I saw a young woman
Who sat by the phone
For what was she waiting
On this holiday night
Where were the stockings Christmas tree, lights? I saw one little tear
As it rolled down her face
And she curled up in a blanket
Then looked round the place
Something was missing
Someone not here
In her face I saw sadness
Did I also see fear?
I paused and I wondered
What could it be?
That would cause a young woman
To look so lonely
How could anyone so precious
Choose such a life?
Then I realized this woman
Was a soldiers wife.
Her gift for this Christmas
Is to hear that phone ring
“Hey baby, I miss you Don’t worry about a thing” Each day I thank God for the soldiers that serve Ever willing to fight and lay down his life
But how often do I ever remember think
About the young woman who is that soldier’s wife
Thank you God for these women
They are just as strong
They sacrifice daily
And without help get along
So God please protect our soldiers
On this holiday eve so late
And give an extra hug
To their wives who wait



I hope everyone has a great holiday season, remember to say a prayer for the deployed soldiers. 

2 comments:

  1. Running low on Christmas Cheer myself this year, but the boys have plenty for me that is for sure. Enjoy your time with friends & I'll pray for the coveted crackled phone call from your husband. Merry Christmas

    P.S.
    I cried reading the poem you left on my Blog- thank you for sharing I had not seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with the lack of Christmas spirit... I just barely made it to the post office today to send a package out to my significant other. I'm curious how long baked goods will last sealed in a ziploc bag in a flat rate box, lol. I guess I'll see what he says and just practice till it makes perfect. That is wonderful that your neighbor was able to help you shovel. The snow was horrific to shovel. Then the plows didn't come until later in the afternoon for my housing area. I believe I read that Aurora has some kind of program that they shovel the driveways of deployed spouses... Not that I'm implying that you are invalid, just might be something to look into if you need. You are your husband are often in my thoughts and prayers. I live on base if you ever need anything, or just a shoulder to lean on. You are so strong and courageous. I pray you'll get to speak with your husband for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love, let me know there's people reading!